Philippine Consulate General in Honolulu, Hawaii > Philippine Consulate General in Honolulu, Hawaii >> News

News

06/07/2017: PHILIPPINE CONSUL GENERAL VISITS LANA’I, HAWAII’S PINEAPPLE ISLAND

Left to Right: Mr. Curtis Jamison, Ms. Julieta Balignasay, Ms. Limay Mock Chew, Consul General Jamoralin and Jean Sumagit in front of the Filipino Community Center in Lana’i.

On July 1, 2017, Lana’i or commonly known as Pineapple Island, in view of its vast pineapple plantations in the past which supported Hawaii’s economy, celebrated its annual Pineapple Festival amidst music, arts and local food showcasing the unique Lana’i culture.

Lana’i is the sixth-largest of the Hawaiian Islands with its center located in the small town of Lānaʻi City. As of 2012, the island was 97% privately owned by Larry Ellison (Founder and Chairman of Oracle) with the remaining 3% owned by the state of Hawaii. Hawaii Governor David Ige and Mrs. Ige and Lt. Governor Shan Tsutsui were among the guests who travelled from Honolulu to Lanai to attend the Festival.

Philippine Consul General Gina Jamoralin held a one-day visit to Lanai upon the invitation of the Immigrant Services Division, County of Maui, Program Coordinator, Mr. Curtis Jamison, who oversees the immigration services in Lanai. Many of the population in Lana’i are Filipinos or of Filipino-descent, having descended from the first Filipino plantation workers who arrived in Hawaii to work in Lana’i pineapple plantations.

This is the first ever visit of a Philippine Consul General in Lanai, which has a small Filipino community, majority of whom works in the hotel and tourism industries. Ms. Jean Sumagit, United Filipino Council of Hawaii (UFCH) coordinator, Lana’i chapter, welcomed Consul General Jamoralin and Ms. Julieta Balignasay, Consulate staff as well as the Maui County Immigration Services Division team composed of its coordinator, Mr. Curtis Jamison and staff, Mesdames Lydia Rayo and Limay Mock Chew.

The Philippine Consulate team and the Maui team set up booths at the venue of the Festival and provided consular information to the Filipinos and the public. (END).